Last night, my grandparents and I watched the movie Click with Adam Sandler. Sandler portrays a man named John Newman who, frustrated with his own mediocrity, is given a remote to control his life by a strange figure named Morty, (Christopher Walken). Once endowed with the remote, John begins to fast forward to the points of his life that he wishes to go to without regard as to what will happen in between. He sees the end of his life, a very tragic end, and is given the chance by Morty, (who we discover is the Angel of Death), to go back and do it right.
It was a good movie. I like to take something from films, even comedies and Adam Sandler movies. And as I was watching this movie last night, the only thing I kept thinking was, "That's nice... but that's not REAL."
Because we don't get a re-do on life.
I believe in second chances. Lord knows I've been the recipient of plenty of them. But when it comes to the big picture, when it comes to life as a whole, there are no second chances.
And life is made of the small moments.
That's the true lesson we learn in Click. Life isn't about the big moments. Those may be the ones that stick out in our memories. Weddings, deaths, promotions, births, houses, cars, jobs...
But life is about the everyday. It's about tossing a ball around the back yard with your dog. (Or your kid. Or both.) It's about jamming out in your car and looking like an idiot and NOT CARING. It's about friendships and family and the intimate and quiet and seemingly mundane. That makes life what it is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment